Bournemouth park considered for Covid memorial space
BCP Council is exploring plans to create a Covid nineteen memorial in Pocket Park in Boscombe.
The proposal was raised during a council meeting by Stanley Watts, who asked about establishing a memorial garden for people affected by the pandemic. Mr Watts, who worked with the NHS for more than 30 years, said many colleagues who gave their lives during Covid should be recognised and asked whether a dedicated garden could be created for victims and NHS staff.
Councillor Sandra Moore thanked him for his dedication to the national health service and confirmed there are already Covid nineteen memorials at the three main NHS sites in Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch, marked by memorial stones and buried time capsules.
She said the council is exploring a potential memorial in Bournemouth and that it could form part of phase two of the town fund development in Boscombe.
BCP Council supported the annual day of reflection last year and has written to the chief executive of University Hospitals Dorset to ask if it can join this year’s event on Sunday March 8 2026.
Share us with your friends on social media, and have a listen to Bournemouth One online and on DAB for all your local news, traffic, jobs, weather, coastal info and more.
Register below for free regular updates via email.
